A night with Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket author of the Series of Unfortunate EventsWhile most of El Paso citizens were out and about on this semi good weather Saturday night, I, Jackie Joy, braved all circumstances and walked 30 miles in heels to see, hear and maybe touch the author of the critically proclaimed author,somewhat cynic, always hilarious, once under a pseudonym Lemony Snicket, Daniel Handler at the Plaza Theater in bustling downtown El Paso, Texas. Well, I might have exaggerated a tad on the circumstances of how I got to the Plaza Theater, but its really all irrelevant to the star of this blog Daniel Handler and his amazing abilities to transform his ideas to words to books to well you get the point.
I arrived early as I always do when it comes to these kind of events, bought the tickets for a friend and I, and waited patiently, oh so patiently to see the man behind one of my favorite books that I read as a child. Also waiting in front of the theater was an infestation of bored parents and over hyped kids.
Sergio, my companion in my random recent El Paso adventures, finally arrived and the waiting continued. The whole week leading up to this night, I have been thinking of questions that I would want to ask Daniel Handler, all were well how should I put it very intriguing. For the life of me I could not think of a mind blowing question that did not sound like it came out of a interview in Harper's Bazaar.
Eventually we were seated and in the theater and long and behold came out the infamous Mr. Handler. From reading his books, his presence was exactly how I imagined it to be like. His voice boomed through the theater and the lecture was interesting, amazing, compelling, and just plain wow. Here are some interesting main points from his lecture:
1. He plays the accordion.
2. He is hilarious
3. He threw books that he didn't like when he was little against the walls of his room.
4. Lemony Snicket came about from a fluke conversation with a Republican while he was working in the Computer Department of the City College of San Francisco
5. He is witty.
6. He is really down to earth and is not pretentiously snobby from the fame he has acquired from his books.
There is more to be said about the lecture, but its really something that you had to be there to really appreciate and understand. Afterwards, Sergio and I waited for about an hour to get our books signed and to take pictures with Daniel Handler. We ended up to be the last ones to get our books signed and due to all the excitement, I can't really remember clearly what exactly I had asked him last night. What I do remember asking him were really silly questions which I am sorry Mr. Handler if you thought I was crazy for asking you:
1. If you wanted to go eat Whataburger with us? ( he said no)
2. If you knew Amy Tan ( he said yes! and they are friends!)
3. If he played for the Rock Bottom Remainders ( again he said yes)
All the other questions were a blur, and the picture is priceless. Last night by far was one of my happiest days of my life, top ten for sure.
Till I write again,
Jackie Joy

No comments:
Post a Comment